Friday 10 January 2014

~Sensorial Learning~ January Week 2

Learning has never been more fun coz it is always fun especially with kids. Most of the times you develop creativity after observing these kids doing their work.
I found out that my Three loves running errands for me and also he actually loves being occupied, although he gets bored easily with an activity and he'll start pulling me to attend to him. He is an attention seeker. So i had to make sure that he gets really busy. From the website http://www.themeasuredmom.com, I absorbed plenyy of ideas and creative activities but somehow due to time constraint i have yet to prepare all of it. But i do make use of things that i already have at home for tfese learning programmes.

One such activities that i had done is the sensorial activity which is to develop fine motor skills in kids. This activity is inspired by the practical life activity in the Montessori Education. 

Activity : Spooning




I was preparing lunch one afternoon when my Three getting restless. And so I merely took two coloured IKEA bowls and a red spoon, and also a tray. Spontaneously i scoop some grains of rice and place in the red bowl. I showed my Three that he has to use the spoon to transfer the grains into the yellow bowl. He did it with full enthusiasm. He repeated the activity about 2-3 couple of times. But soon after that, he started using his fingers. And i suddenly got in mind that i am training him to eat nicely with no food spills around his plate, therefore i took the opportunity to train him that this spooing activity, he has to spoon the grains carefully and not let hte grains spill onto the tray. And if there's grains spillimg in the tray, he has to use his hands to slowly put the grains away.
These activities somehow has 2 in 1 outcomes. First, you get your child to develop fine motor skills. Secondly, you get to train him/her to eat nicely and mannerly with no food spilling a over the plate and table. Sometimes i had to clean up the entire dining!!!
I am fussy and i admit i still cant tolerate messiness during eating time. Guess i have to work on that -_-

On the same week, while doing the laundries, i decided to get my Three involved. He was smiling from ear to ear when i told him to get his basket of laundries. 




In an early childhood education, it is perfectly allright to get your kids involved with practical life activities. Rather than we go   telling them "go do your stuff mama is busy.." so and so..(i did that before n realized it isnt good), it would be better for us to make them feel that they are part of it. 
Kids like running errands and trust me in that ;)

We can never be perfect espceically when it comes to educating our own children. I have learnt from past mistakes that it is souh better for us as parents to in fact we actually learn from our own children. They taught us patience and creativity. 

I owe my kids for that and that is why i am staying at home now as i do not want to owe them any lost time in the future. I wanna be with them and make them know that i exist in their lives.

Stay tuned for more of my entries :)

No comments:

Post a Comment